Some photos of the building of ‘New Tipperary’ around 1890. Tenants of the Smith Barry estate in withheld their rents in solidarity with Cork tenants of the same estate.
They were evicted and a local cooperative effort built a new town for them mostly funded by money from the USA and Australia. This is now the area around Dillon Street and Emmet Street. The shopping arcade was called the William O’Brien Arcade after one of the main directors of the initiative.
Photos courtesy of Joe Walsh.