The suitcase of film reels was given to a family familiar with the residents of Moyaliffe House a number of years ago. The suitcase was retained in the attic and a family member brought it into Tipperary Studies, in 2018. While the content could not be viewed locally, some of the film reel boxes had a brief index, which suggested that there was content of social and cultural interest. After discussions with people familiar with 16mm film and it’s conversion to digital format, the DVD Centre, Burgh Quay, Dublin was identified as a company which carry out such work, which they did to the satisfaction of all.
With the kind permission of family descendants to put some of the material online, the following clips portray aspects of Irish and English history which may be of interest to many viewers.
The Armstrongs were a Scottish border clan who came to Ireland to fight for the Royalist cause. Captain William Armstrong was granted a lease of Farneybridge, Co. Tipperary in 1660 and in the next decade continued to increase his holdings in the areas of Holycross and Ballycahill. Towards the end of the seventeenth century the lands and castle of Moyaliffe (Mealiffe) were acquired by William’s son, Thomas 1671- 1741), High Sheriff of county Tipperary. The stone house located near the ruins of the castle was extended over time and also became known as Moyaliffe Castle. Generations of the Armstrong family continued to reside there.
Following the death of his only son, William Maurice in France in 1917, Captain Marcus Beresford Armstrong passed the Moyaliffe Estate to his second daughter Winona Rosalie, known as Jess.
Jess (1893- 1982) married Captain William Daryl Olphert Kemmis (1892 – 1965) of Ballinacor, Co. Wicklow in 1927 and the couple divided their time between Moyaliffe and Ballinacor, Co. Wicklow until his death in 1965. Jess retained Moyaliffe castle and twelve acres and the remainder was offered for sale to the Land Commission. After her death in 1982, Moyaliffe was bequeathed to a distant relation, Robert George Carew Armstrong of Natal, South Africa. In 1999 the Armstrong family sold Moyaliffe Castle.
After the sale of the house, the archival material preserved there was kept in safe storage by dedicated local historians and eventually presented to the Special Collections Library, University of Limerick.