The Clonmel Grammar School 1653-1922

The Clonmel Grammar School grew from a Jesuit school set up after the dissolution of the monasteries.

Clonmel GrammerThis school was damaged by fire in 1640 and was closed under the penal laws in 1650. It was reopened in 1653 under protestant control but had closed again by 1681.

In 1685 the building was revived as a Grammar school where the children of Protestant freemen in Clonmel were entitled to a free education. This was an endowed school supported by the rental of lands around Roscrea.

Clonmel Grammar School by Michael Ahern [Tipperary Historical Journal 1993 , 128-134]