skip to Main Content

Reverend Patrick Lynch P.P Holycross (1912-1987)

Fr Pat Lynch was a native of Glankeen, Borrisoleigh. After studying for a year in St. Patrick’s Thurles he moved to Maynooth where he was ordained in 1938.  He was appointed to Holycross in 1968 where he supervised the restoration of Holy cross. He died suddenly in April 1987.

Fr Lynch was also a founder member of the Holycross show committee

From the first Fr Lynch was a staunch supporter of the show. He and Pat Fogarty (Clerk of Works on the restoration of the Abbey) gave permission for the committee to use the Abbey workshop to construct the jumps. Reject timber from the Abbey restoration was also donated to the show.

Oak trees were also donated by Tony Molloy (Crossogue) and Patrick Hennessey (Dundrum).  Jim McCann (Killough manager) donated 200 trees to the project. Michael Purcell, Tommy Vokes and Tom Purcell (Galbertstown) built the fences under the guidance of Captain Austin Wolfe and Eddie Taylor (RDS)who supplied photos and measurements from international venues for the workshop.

All the work on the fences was done voluntarily by local labour in the basement of the parochial house and stored adjacent to it. No doubt Fr. Lynch’s enthusiasm inspired the workers on dark winter evenings.

Back To Top
×Close search