Clonmel Charter School

Silver Spring house in #Clonmel has an interesting history. Originally built at a cost of £907 as a Charter boarding school it opened in 1748.
The school was set up by the ‘Incorporated Society for the promotion of Protestant Schools in Ireland’ using government funds to provide education for the children of poor Roman Catholics and convert them to the protestant faith at a time when Catholics were forbidden to have schools of their own or to send their children abroad to be educated.
Most of the children were sent to schools far from home to loosen their ties to family and faith. for example in 1788 thirteen children from Castlebar were sent to the school. The scheme was not a success and the Clonmel Charter school closed in 1824. The following year it was leased by Charles Bianconi who renamed it Silver Spring. It has been a private residence ever since.

Read Michael Ahern’s account of the school here