As the ploughing draws to a close we thought we would share this programme from the ploughing championship 1945, which was held at Kingswell House, Tipperary.
It took place on the farm of Patrick J. O’Dwyer and the local organising committee was headed by Muintir na Tíre founder Fr. Hayes.
We are indebted to his grandson Pat for the photos of his grandfather, the house and the programme of the event. The reported attendance was 5,000.
All the competitors were ploughing with horses, any competitor not ploughing with his own horses would be supplied with a pair by the committee who would borrow locally sufficient pairs of plough-horses to meet these requirements. The income listed for the previous years championship was £296.
The newspaper report is from the Nationalist 24th February 1945 .